Roast Duck with Honey-Soy Sauce
Best roast duck recipe: Switch things up with tortilla wraps
Leftover used: Roast Duck
By preparing your own sauce and pickled green chillies, a simple batch of leftover roast meat can be turned into something special that is really easy to prepare. Adding cooked vegetables make this wrap a well-balanced meal.
Creating your own sauce and pickled chilli also means you know exactly what is going into your food, so you can be sure you are not consuming preservatives.
If you are serving this to kids or adults who cannot eat chilli, you can leave the chilli powder out of the honey-soy sauce. Instead of pickling chilli, you can pickle some daikon radish or sliced carrot for that acidic hit. You can also use any other type of roast meat here instead of roast duck, so feel free to experiment with different leftovers.
2 tortilla wraps
250–300g leftover Roast duck, shredded or chopped
1 bunch Shimeji mushrooms, separated
6–8 bunches leftover blanched Chye Sim, roughly chopped
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp Cooking oil
Salt and white pepper, to season
Spicy Honey-Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Honey
2 tbsp Soy sauce
¼ tsp Chilli powder
½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
1 tsp Ginger, finely grated
½ tsp Sesame oil
½ tsp Rice vinegar
Dash of ground white pepper
Quick-pickled Green Chillies
4 large Green chillies, thinly sliced
120ml Rice vinegar
1 tbsp Sugar
a clove of Garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp Salt
- First, make the quick-pickled green chillies. In a small saucepan, bring the water and vinegar up to a simmer. Take it off the heat, then stir in the sugar and salt. Pour the solution over the sliced chillies and garlic. Set aside for 10 minutes before using. They can be kept in the fridge for up to a month.
- Prepare the honey-soy sauce by stirring all the ingredients together until combined. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the cooking oil in a medium-high heat. Add the chopped garlic, then the mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms are cooked through and the liquid has evaporated, then toss in the chopped chye sim. Season with a pinch of salt and take off the heat.
- Heat wrap on a dry pan for 30 seconds on each side.
- Assemble the wraps by laying the tortilla wrap on a plate. Put half of the cooked mushrooms and chye sim on each wrap, and top with shredded roast duck. Drizzle with the spicy honey-soy sauce, then top with a few slices of pickled chilli.
- Fold over two opposite edges of the wrap, then roll into a tight wrap. Serve alongside the remaining spicy honey-soy sauce for dipping.
What a great way to switch up your favourite roasted duck dish! Try this recipe today!
This recipe was contributed by Mission Food