Try this easy, savoury fried bee hoon recipe
Beloved by many, this easy to whip up comfort food will be an instant favourite.
Bee hoon or rice vermicelli, are thin, tasty noodles that, when stir fried with soy sauce, vegetables and meat, can be whipped up into a delightful one-meal dish that’s flavourful, filling, and quite healthy.
Though popular in Singapore, this dish has gained renown in other countries, where versions of the dish are sprinkled with curry powder.
For now, we will attempt to make an easy fried bee hoon recipe, Singapore style, which means it’s not that spicy.
You can easily whip up fried vermicelli at home because it takes less than an hour to make.
You simply have to soak the noodles, mix the ingredients in a wok and stir fry it all together.
Want to try this Fried Bee Hoon recipe? Here’s how.
Makes 2 to 3 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 200 grams bee hoon (rice vermicelli) noodles, presoaked for half an hour
- 6 tbsp Vegetable oil, divided in two containers
- 1 can of stewed pork ribs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 shallots, sliced
- Bean sprouts, ⅔ cup
- Baby bok choy leaves, 1 cup
- Sliced Shitake mushrooms, 1 cup
- Carrot, 1 piece, cut into strips
- Salt, 1 tsp
- White Pepper, 1 tsp
- Sesame oil, 1 tsp
- Soy sauce, 3 tbsp, divided
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Oyster sauce., 1 tbsp
- Pickled green chillies, optional
- Drizzle 3 to 4 tablespoons of vegetable in a wok, cook over medium heat. Sauté garlic, shallots, and mushrooms until soft and brown.
- Open stewed pork ribs can. Mash up pork using a fork or spoon.
- Combine carrots, salt, and stewed pork ribs in your wok.
- Stir-fry bee hoon, along with soy sauce in the same wok.
- Add baby bok choy, bean sprouts, vegetable oil, and cook over high heat.
- Combine thoroughly while stir-frying, noting the browning of noodles. You can add salt, pepper, fish sauce, oyster sauce, if desired.
- Lastly, make an omelette using beaten eggs and cut into strips to top your noodles with. Serve with pickled green chillies if you want!
- To make your own pickled green chillies, soak some green chillies in hot water for about 10 minutes. Drain and add vinegar, ½ tsp of soy sauce, sugar, and ½ tsp of salt.
- Make it cool on its own or keep in the refrigerator overnight before serving with the fried bee hoon recipe mentioned above!